Fire Chief (General Motors)
Compensation: $84,400.00 - $131,130.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
- Responsible for supervision of fire prevention/protection and emergency response activities including Incipient Stage fire fighting personnel.
- Reports to Security Chief.
- Assures compliance with applicable General Motors Fire Prevention/ Protection Manual as well as National Fire Prevention/ Protection standards and regulations.
- Interfaces with and provides technical fire prevention/ protection guidance to, management, appropriated General Motors personnel, regulatory agencies, including local and state fire authorities.
- Remain current with engineering practices, procedures, and governmental regulations pertaining to fire prevention/ protection and emergency response planning.
- Develops and implements site-specific, training programs for personnel in areas which may include fire suppression, systems maintenance and testing, fire prevention, hot work permits, and emergency response planning as required by Government regulations and General Motors Policies and procedures.
- Ensures that pertinent training, inspection and maintenance records are in compliance with appropriate regulatory agencies and General Motors / policies and procedures.
- Audits facilities for compliance with General Motors policies and procedures regarding fire prevention/ protection issues and ensures consistency.
- May be responsible for purchase, with General Motors approval, of replacement fire equipment or supplies according to local General Motors procedures.
- May be responsible for security duties in relation to the facility’s confined space permitting program and other safety related programs or committees. May be responsible for training relative to confined space entry and rescue, usage of self contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and records associated with these activities, including fit testing of the SCBA.
- Ensure compliance with the aspects of General Motors Labor Agreements.
- Coordinates all fire equipment inspection/ certification activities on site with the Site Coordinator/ Manager of Fire Prevention and Protection, assures all records are maintained and in compliance with the required standards.
- Institutes and is responsible for fire prevention and protection training for security personnel such as fire suppression systems maintenance and testing, fire prevention, hot works permits, confined space permits as required by Government regulations, as well as, General Motors Corporate and Site Specific training and monthly exercises that are fire and/ or safety related.
- Institutes and is responsible for structural stage fire brigade training and fire and safety drills.
- Maintains all fire prevention/ protection training and drill records for on site personnel.
- Participates in Loss Prevention Survey and is the contact person for follow-up on the maintenance list and survey items.
- Coordinates all impairments to fire protection systems and/or equipment to ensure that they are handled promptly and correctly. Assures all records are maintained and in compliance with required standards.
- Responds to all emergencies as outlined in local procedures.
- Participates in pre-emergency planning and assists in the implementation of the emergency plans with both facilities and outside emergency organizations. Coordinates fire department visits to the facility.
- Assures that all fire and related GRIT reports are completed and forwarded to the designated personnel. Identifies trends and ensures that appropriate corrective action is communicated and taken. Completes and provides follow up as needed.
- Attends meetings with plant management, engineering, quality assurance personnel and others regarding general inquires from plant personnel to ensure proper fire prevention and protection requirements during new construction, planned renovations and demolition.
- Insures Hot Works Permits are properly administered and maintained.
- May supervise security staff in fire functions.
- Makes recommendations on managerial methods in order to improve workflow, simplify reporting procedures or implement cost reductions.
- Maintain data and records following General Motors Record Retention guidelines and requirements.
- Carries out all duties in an honest ethical manner.
- Reports to Site Security Management.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or its equivalent. Any deviations from the minimum educational requirement must meet the approval of General Motors Global Security.
- Advanced fire prevention training preferred.
- 2 years prior fire prevention/ protection experience or equivalent fire education required, four years preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Ability to solve practical problems and carry out responsibilities under general supervision.
- Ability to organize workload for effective implementation.
- Strong analytical skills needed to analyze complex data and develop reasonable analysis, appropriate conclusions and/ or innovative solutions.
- Demonstrates planning, organizational and project management skills.
- Demonstrates verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong managerial skills and the ability to assert oneself.
- Ability to act in a decisive manner in emergency situations.
- Ability to physically respond to all medical emergencies.
- Ability to assist in facilitating progressive change.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels and across diverse cultures.
- Ability to be an effective team member.
- Strong General Motors, quality and results orientated.
- Strong diplomacy skills and sensitivity protocol.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and utilize sound judgment.
- Working knowledge of card access, security and safety systems.
- Demonstrated excellent computer ability (Microsoft programs).
- Knowledge of multiple languages is beneficial but not required.
Allied Universal is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce. Allied Universal will provide qualified individuals with reasonable accommodations pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or any other applicable state or local laws. We are committed to hiring veterans and reservists. Since 2013, we have hired over 25,000 heroes.
*ZR-CEJob Requirements:* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...